Monday, June 13, 2011

Volunteer Profile: Jacquelene Adam

This volunteer story was shared by Jacquelene Adam, a volunteer with PROJECT FUTURES global. To share your story or to highlight a volunteer project in your area, contact futures@somaly.org.

"The ancient city of Angkor, smiling faces and kind conversations are what made me fall in love with Cambodia. The extreme poverty and human trafficking industry in the country are what made me decide I wanted to do something to help these people and this beautiful country.

My trip to Cambodia happened by accident, I was traveling through Thailand for over a month with the hopes of continuing my travels in that country. After I crossed the Malaysian border and was stamped back into Thailand with only a 15 day visa, I decided to travel to Cambodia with the remaining time I had left until flying back to the states, 25 days later. Little did I know, that this country and these people would change my life.

I rode around with my travel companion and our tuk tuk driver who became our dear friend, through the streets of Siem Reap, visiting the temples of Angkor and the floating villages. We spent nights chatting with our new Cambodian friends and navigating our way through the night markets. I educated myself on the countries history, watching videos and visiting museums and my heart was broken. I visited the killing fields and prison in Phnom Phen and cried at the base of a memorial. After dinner, on our walks back to our hotel, we passed young girls, outside buildings wearing make up and luring in visitors. At that time, I was completely unaware that I was probably passing a brothel, that these girls were sex slaves. I just walked by, ignoring them.

Upon my return I began reaching out to different organizations that worked in Cambodia and helped with education, poverty and health care. While searching, I stumbled upon the Somaly Mam Foundation. I watched the videos on the page. I read about the programs and the girls living at AFESIP. It took me only two days to read Somaly's book, The Road of Lost Innocence. I became aware.

Since then, I have been volunteering with the organization, working on this blog and helping at the events. I was excited to be part of the New York launch of Project Futures global and will be traveling to Los Angeles for the launch with the floral company I work with, Gira, who kindly donated floral arrangements for both events.

I continue to be moved by everything Somaly Mam, the foundation, and Project Futures does for these girls and I am thankful to be a part of it. Join me in the fight and become aware."

This volunteer story was shared by Jacqueline Adam, a volunteer with PROJECT FUTURES global. To share your story or to highlight a volunteer project in your area, contact futures@somaly.org

No comments:

Post a Comment